Monday, November 3, 2008

Gotta Move On

The song, “Funkytown” by Lipps Inc. can literally be taken as someone needs to be taken to “Funkytown.” In life, there are multiple transitions which nearly every human faces. The transitions from childhood to adulthood, from high school to college, or from college to the real world are transitions which many people experience. The transition from high school to college to high school is one I have just made myself.
Though I am having a marvelous time in school, there are definitely moments when I feel like I don’t belong; like I don’t fit in. Sometimes I feel as though I just want to leave and go back to the place where I belong. The groove in the song talks about the same thing.
“Gotta make a move to a town that’s right for me.
Town to keep me moving, keep me grooving with some energy.”
Sometimes if the move to a new place doesn’t work out, you can just get up and go. That’s what the singer in Lipps Inc wants to do. Moving to a new place is hard, and everyone just wants to belong. To her, “Funkytown” is just a place where everyone has fun, and everyone gets along. A place where she feels right, and where she can be herself.

2 comments:

Alanna said...

maybe she is just super crazy about dancing and just wants to go party all the time or shake it on the dance floor because she loves dancing so much?
Funkytown could be real place, a place in her heart. lol. seriously...

Wiedbrauk said...

I was going to ask the same question: is 'funkytown' a physical place or a state of mind? Is it music, people, local or is it some sort of euphoria achieved through "sex, drugs and rock n roll" ... or, um, disco?